Monday, October 13, 2008

Background on TTC

We’ve been TTC (trying to conceive) since March 2006. Finally fell pregnant in January 2007. We were over the moon. We went for our first scan at 7 weeks and we had a beautiful little blob with a heartbeat. When we went back for our 11 week check, the blob no longer had a heartbeat. We’d lost the baby.

We started trying again right away and finally fell pregnant in January 2008. Once again we were over the moon, but this time we were a bit nervous. We decided to only go for our first scan at 9 weeks. When we got there the pregnancy was only 4 weeks. 3 days later I started spotting and was put onto bed rest for 2 weeks. The spotting got worse and I was rushed to hospital when I started cramping. Turned out it was a Blighted Ovum (A blighted ovum (also known as “anembryonic pregnancy”) happens when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall, but the embryo does not develop. Cells develop to form the pregnancy sac, but not the embryo itself.). Shit luck hey… Well it’s not over.

We once again started right away and fell pregnant very quickly. I fell pregnant in June 2008. I still say it’s thanks to Metformin. Anyhow, we were less excited this time. Well I was at least. I was sicker then I’d ever been before in my life. Morning sickness is the pits. Although all these signs were encouraging, I still didn’t want to get my hopes up. We went for our 6 week scan and there was a tiny little heartbeat – Yippee! 8 week scan – another stronger heartbeat – sigh!! 11 week scan, another heartbeat – even bigger sign. 12 week scan – another dead baby!!! We’d lost baby number 3. Well I’d lost it, I keep blaming myself, which I know I shouldn’t, but it was my body that had failed us after all.

My hubby A as been fantastic through this all. He’s supported me 100% and has always been there for me. I’m the luckiest women in the world!!

Anyway, I’ve had all the tests known to mankind and there is no medical explanation as to why I’m miscarrying all the time. There is not much we can do. I have however spoken to my gynae, who’s in turn sought out the advice from his other colleagues and he’s decided that the next step would have to be Clexane. It’s a blood thinning injection that I’ll have to administer every day for 9 months into my stomach. Hell’s bells. I’m in, I’ll try anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shame my friend, you have been thru so much. We have both been trying just as long as each other and have both been thru so much pain and heartache. Dont blame yourself, I know its so much easier said than done.

Really looking fwd to meeting you in 2 weeks time!
xxx